Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Top 24 - The Guys

I watched the first top 24 show. I was a little disappointed with the guys. I felt that too many of them played it safe. I felt that too many chose keys that were too low for their voices. That's how pitch problems begin - you're down at the bottom of your range, where there isn't much tone or volume, but you are trying to make an impact, so you push out a little in the bottom, and then, when you go up, the voice doesn't respond with flexability because of the weight you used in the bottom. It's like trying to jump rope with someone hanging on your leg. Most chose songs that didn't challenge them range-wise either. It was a big night for most of the contestants, performing live on television, under pressure. So one can understand why some of the performances were stiff.

I actually found myself agreeing with Simon's feedback. Horrors of horrors. Not that people were 'grotesque'. I found that no one really stood out for me, although I had high hopes for Michael Johns after his Hollywood week Bohemian Rapsody .... he didn't deliver as well as I wished he would.

So here's my vote for Feb 19th - the Guys (I hope I got the names right). In my scoring, they were all pretty much equal. Bottom to top:

#12 - Luke Menard

#11 - David Look

#10 - Robbie Carrizo

#9 - Danny Noriega

#8 - David Hernandez

#7 - Colton Berry

#6 - Jason Yeagar

#5 - Chikezre

#4 - Garret Haley

#3 - Jason Castro

#2 - Michael Johns

#1 - David Archuleta

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Vikki!
I'm surprised you put Garrett up so high - but he does have a nice voice and good attitude.

I agree with you on the top 3! And I hope they make it to the top 6 or so. I really liked all three of them. The others didn't seem like much to write home about.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the songs were keyed too low for them. I was surprised David A. pulled out such a great performance, because it was obviously way too low - which worried me, because I want him to do well - I just like him!

I liked how Garrett reacted when Paula told him to talk to the arranger guy (she said his name, I forgot it) about how to change up his songs. He looked like he didn't know he could do that - and was glad to have the info - so I'm interested to see what he'll do next time.

Thanks for the blog! I'm bookmarking it. It will be fun to pop in and gab. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with your top 3. I don't think Chikezie will last. He may even be voted off this week.

The rest - it's too early to tell.

I think that David Archuleta has a strong shot at being the idol this year. He's young, the 13-year-old girls will swoon for him, he's got a humble and likeable personality, and the guy can actually sing on pitch with feeling.

Larry from JPF