Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Last group of 12 – 3Mar09

I thought it was a better show in terms of quality of singers, but I have to admit I started zoning out towards the end. Two hours, too much chit chat. I look forward to when we have the top 12 and can zero in on individual performances better.

*VON SMITH (7/10) – nice tone, sang smoothly in tune, song had an agreeable groove, not bad.

TAYLOR V (6/10) – rather low, but I liked her delivery of the first verse. The second seemed less secure – probably because the voice gets tired swiftly when we sing too low in the register for too long. I felt she has a nice instrument but it needs more development. I wasn’t sure of the song choice for her. She did look comfortable on stage.

*ALEX W-T (7.5/10) – good voice, solid tone & depth. I wanted him to open his mouth more. He showed personality.

ARIANNA (6.5/10) – I felt there was depth to the voice/tone. Odd song, but good voice. She needs to be careful not to push the voice. I thought the accompaniment was a bit strange. Who arranges these things?

*JU’NOT (6.8/10) – nicely done, very secure, good song choice for him, good build. Kept me with him all the way through. He knows how to paint a song with his voice.

KIRSTEN (6.2/10) – She was dressed like Maria in ‘The Sound of Music’ and the song / performance was overdone.

NATHANIEL (6.6/10) – A bloom on the voice, nice flow, youthful personality. An okay, fun performance.

?? (6.4/10) – I felt like there was some good tone in the voice, not bad, a little pitchy… I started to zone out and didn’t even get her name.

SCOTT (6.3/10) – It was a safe, okay performance, I would have liked to have heard more depth.

KENDALL (5.10) – Very cute, I thought the song was pitchy & pushy. Not the song for her.

JORGE (6.45/10) – Solid tone, sung on pitch, the performance was okay… last note was good.

*LIL (6.9/10) – I’m afraid I felt a little skeptical listening to all the judges rave about this performance. Yeah, she was good… but she didn’t blow my socks off. A warm rich voice, I thought it was a safe song choice, not a bad performance.

As you can see, I didn’t rate anyone more than 7.5 and most of the singers were in the 6.0 to 7.0 range – acceptable but not extraordinary.

Maybe 3 out of these 4 will go through: AlexW, VonS, Lil, Ju’Not

No comments: