Thursday, February 26, 2009

Feb 25/09 – 2nd group of 12

Overall I thought it was a very poor show. The number one thing that occurred to me as I watched (which was then expressed by Randy) is, pick a song that ‘sings itself’. If you pick a song that you like, that has no range, that has no vocal highs and lows, that doesn’t challenge you… then you have to try so hard to make something of the song, that your voice & your performance suffers. I really think too, that just because you like a song, it doesn’t mean it suits you or your voice, or will show your personality.

JASMINE (3/10) – very pitchy performance, especially at the end when she pushed her voice. The song seemed too low for her. Unfortunately, a rather dull performance. As I said above, pick a song that helps you, helps show off your voice – not something you have to overperform just to make an impact.

MATT (4/10) – nice voice. His breathing was all over the place, likely due to nerves. I’m not sure that he has much range – certainly this song seemed to show a limitation.

JEANINE (2/10) – very low, very pitchy, sort of a weird arrangement or something. I thought she came to life a little bit at the end.

NORMAN (7/10) – dear Norman. I award him the best performance of the night. He took over the stage, every eye was on him, and you wanted to see/hear what he was going to do next. And he actually has a nice voice too.

ALISON (6.5/10) – I felt her voice sits a little too far back – it’s like she’s swallowing her vowels. A little pushy, a little pitchy.

KRIS (6.5) – voice was tight from the start. I thought the song was a good choice, and that the performance was decent, although it didn’t show range.

MEAGAN (4.5/10) – nice voice & presence. The song seemed low, a little pushy/pitchy, but parts were okay. Didn’t really show off. I agree she’s got marketability.

MATTB (6.75) – engaging from the start. Good presence, but the song itself felt too slow, too many pauses between vocal lines. Again, a song that doesn’t help the singer sing. I was waiting for the song to take off, but it never did.

JESSE (7.1/10) – nice vocals, solid tone. I felt the performance was a bit ‘put on’ but better than any other singer prior to him.

KAI (6.8/10) – nice voice, okay, a little blah, safe.

MISHAVONNA (8/10) – reminds me of Katherine McPhee. Very focused, very serious (too much so), but secure, and chose a good song to sing.

ADAM (8.5/10) – he definitely has the best voice of these 12, and he’s a seasoned performer. I thought he did a terrific job, and actually sounded like an IDOL should sound.

Choices: ADAM, MISHAVONNA, JESSE
Honourable Mention: Norman

1 comment:

PhilB said...

Hello!

I said the other night that if you pick a song you like, you are still looking at things from the perspective of a listener. The guy who disagreed with Simon was arguing that it was a great song. Simon was trying to tell the guy that it didn't suit his voice and wasn't good for the competition. He'll never get what Simon was trying to say.

The great ones pick a song from the perspective of a rock star. What can this song do for me.

It's all good either way, but not when you are on American Idol.

Peace,

Phil